Thursday, November 8, 2012

Miss Brill

The first serious connection that I made in Mansfield's Ms. Brill was the cupboard comments.  She mentioned that the old people looked restless and tired and looked as though they had come from cupboards.  Later on in the story, it states that she's returning to her apartment which is like a cupboard.  This gives the reader a hint of her older age
An overarching theme that I got from the story was a sense of loneliness.  She literally imagined the feelings people were having in their heads to suit her perfect image. It was really sad listening to because of all the rejection faced by others.  It made me feel bad for Ms.  Brill!  Also, she was talking to her hat. I mean, she must have really been lonely. The hat says according to Ms Brill,""What has been happening to me""(Mansfield, 182)?

No comments:

Post a Comment