Saturday, July 7, 2012

The House Book 1: 13 and 14

From the beginning of Wharton's The House of Mirth, she made known that the deal made between Gus and Lily would turn out poorly.  As seen in chapter thirteen, just that occurred.  We could see as soon as Lily met Gus that something was odd about him.  He took on to Lily too quickly and as I just read, it manifested itself when Gus attempted to keep Lily from leaving the room.  I thought this part was especially odd and probably put things in perspective for Lily and made her think about what kind of business she was in. “ I’ll tell you what I want: I want to know just where you and I stand”(Wharton, 117).  I'm just kind of confused as to why this creepy guy was trying to seduce Lily.
At the end of the chapter we see Lily's struggle and confusion on what to do for the night, but she then remembered Gerty.  As surprising as it is due to the previous thought toward Gerty and Gerty's thought toward Lily, Lily is welcomed in after Gerty hears what happens.  Gerty was presented as the dirty and low-life independent woman that Lily knows of.  While Lily is the wanna-be princess and rich girl, they seem to mingle very well in the end.  It is good to see that through the tough times that people go through, there is always someone there that is willing to help.  One example of that is my uncle.  Though he does live pretty far away, if I ever need anything it seems like he is right there to help me out.  

No comments:

Post a Comment