Saturday, July 7, 2012

The House Book 2: 7 and 8

Early in chapter seven of Edith Wharton’s The House of Mirth, it seems that Lily is welcome to the idea of marrying Rosedale! However, I see one main reason for doing this- to triumph over the hated Bertha. But! As Rosedale and Lily talk, Rosedale admits that he cannot marry her.  Honestly, how frank they both are surprises me quite a bit. Were people in the 20s really like that? As reasoning for him not being able to marry her even though he loved her, he said that by marrying her, he would essentially be throwing away everything that he had every worked for! As she’s walking away, Rosedale suggest plotting against Bertha with the use of the letters.  However, he states that she needs a strong backing-husband for this to work! At the end of the chapter though, Lily pretends as though she is clueless as to what Rosedale means.
Okay, seriously, is Gerty a maid or is she legitimately Lily's friend? I mean in the middle of chapter eight when Lily and Gerty are talking, it seems like Lily is being serviced by Gerty! "...while her friend busied herself with the tea cups." "...how beautifully one does have to behave in a small flat."  "...let me give you this cushion to lean against." And also, with Gerty's friendly gesture with the cushion Lily replies "Dont give me that! I don't want to lean back..."(Wharton,215). I mean I am fully aware that Lily is struggling through tough times, but I honestly do not know why she has not adjusted her attitude for a more simple lifestyle!  I think that this story is supposedly about Lily's triumphs but she’s starting to annoy me greatly!

No comments:

Post a Comment