Thursday, August 9, 2012

Gatsby: 90-96


When I think of Gatsby and the reuniting with Daisy, I think of the classic "no one else exists" idea a person gets. It seems that he is still so enchanted by the fact that this girl that he had longed to see for ages was finally in his presence.  "Gatsby didn't know me now at all.(Fitzgerald, 96)" He just seems like he has a cover over his eyes that only let him focus on what matters to him at that point in time. We really can see how much he cares about her by how he reassesses the value of some of his things based on how Daisy reacts to the object.
It was a mystery from the beginning to me why in the heck Gatsby would put down all this money on this insanely extravagant parties.  I mean he would prepare for a week spending an insane amount of money to accommodate the people attending the parties.  I always had an idea for why but was not totally sure.  I always felt that he may actually feel lonely in that huge place that he has and I think that, that is what Fitzgerald is trying to tell us in The Great Gatsby.  I believe that is why he is always trying to talk to Nick as well.  I think that Gatsby truly does enjoy entertaining those guests because it makes him feel welcomed and wanted, not alone.  I also feel that the reason he seems just so flustered is because he is just so lonely and really never surrounded by people he ever has a personal connection with.  

No comments:

Post a Comment