Thursday, August 9, 2012

Gatsby: 113-135


Wow, this chapter is full of surprises. Actually, not so much surprises as shocks.  In short, Gatsby and Daisy are obviously in love. Mr. Try hard, no-one-mess-with- me Tom over here is not too happy.  I probably would not be either if I found that out about my wife.  There are a few things that do confuse me though as we progress through chapter seven of Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.  One of those was why Daisy and Gatsby where so openly obsessed with each other.  I mean as much as Gatsby does not like it, she IS married.  Another question that I have is why exactly Tom was so concerned about Jay's personal life and background. I understand that he wants to look up some stuff on his wife's lover, but still, why does he dive so deep.  Its revealed that Gatsby is into something that obviously rakes in the cash, but also is something that he does not exactly want other people to know about.  Also, why Tom was freaking about about “old sport” and bootlegging is still a complete mystery to me.  “That’s a great expression of yours, isnt it?(Fitzgerald, 127)”

No comments:

Post a Comment