Thursday, August 9, 2012

Gatsby: pg 15-21



Well, it is official.  I can tell I am going to enjoy this novel quite a bit more than the first.  As it starts out, we learn a few things about Nick and his personal family life. "...but we've always been unusually communicative in a reserved way, and I understood that he meant a great deal more than that(Fitzgerald, 1)."  As this quote illustrates, we learn that Nick might be a man of few words, but extremely vital words are spoken when something is said.  We also see what kind of family environment Nick grew up in.  An environment that put down judgment and promoted equality among people.  We see the polar opposite of that later in the reading dealing with Tom Buchanan, the husband of Nick's cousin, when we expresses some racially insensitive views.
As I have been reading, I also have been looking closely at some figurative language the author has been using.  I have seen foreshadowing multiple times.  "...permanently, I thought...(Fitzgerald, 3)" I feel like this comment could foreshadow something tragic of unfortunate that may occur as the novel progresses.  Also in the reading, the Gatsby is hinted towards multiple times as a unique man that people need to meet.  Obviously, from the title of the book, I can infer that the Gatsby is going to be a central character in the book.  I am just excited to see exactly how he plays in to Nick's life in Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby.

No comments:

Post a Comment